After much development and testing, rifled PVC is now a reality.
Range testing indicates about a 50% increase in accuracy for potatoes, and pipe stands up to continuous 300 psi pretty well. This new barrel modification will send potatoes straighter and perhaps most important of all...safer. I say this as I have had experience with a stray potato every now and then, going where you might have not wanted it to go...(through my shop window).
Rifled PVC pipe:
- Available in 1 1/2" and 2" SCH 40 and 2" SCH 80 sizes only.
- Six rifling lands equally spaced around the interior.
- Design is unidirectional.
- Pressure tested to 300 psi.
- Range Proven.
- Continuous lengths up to┬á58 inches long.
- Optional precision cut potato knife w/ inside 'squeeze' chamfer on one end. (described below)
- Available in 3, 4, or 5* foot lengths.
- Nearly seamless unlimited lengths now possible with new indexed coupling system.
- Ask how you can make a barrel 20 feet long if you really want!
For ease of sizing and getting a spud to properly load into the barrel, a special too is used to cut a┬áknife on the end of the pipe. Rifled Pipe is UNIDIRECTIONAL. It┬áonly works in ONE direction. An arrow on the barrel indicates which direction the potato should be launched, regardless of how it was loaded.
For most launchers you want a MUZZLE knife.
A Muzzle Knife, it is┬ácut on the end where you start the potato, ram it the full length of the barrel with a suitable broomstick or such, and then fire the potato towards the knife (against the rifling ledges).
*For oversize package reasons, 5 foot barrels shipped UPS will actually be 4 feet 10 inches long, due to their being anal about their 60 inch limit for regular packages.